Tuesday 13 December 2011

Tosca Arias



(still some background etc to fill in, impulsive as usual I have to publish ..... NOW! ..... I will return, lol, but just to say I am hugely enjoying this process of  looking in detail at these great and beautiful arias)

Arias from Puccini's Tosca

Recondita Armonia - Hidden Harmony
Vissi d'arte - I Lived For My Art
E Lucevan le stelle - When The Stars Were Shining Brightly




Recondita Armonia
sung by Cavaradossi


Dammi i colori...
Recondita armonia di bellezze diverse!
È bruna Floria, l'ardente amante mia.
E te, beltade ignota, cinta di chiome bionde,
Tu azzurro hai l'occhio,
Tosca ha l'occhio nero!
L'arte nel suo mistero,
le diverse bellezze insiem confonde...
Ma nel ritrar costei,
Il mio solo pensiero,
Il mio sol pensier sei tu,
Tosca, sei tu!


English translation

Hidden harmony

Pass me the colors...
Hidden harmony of contrasting beauties!
Floria, my ardent lover, is dark haired.
And you, unknown beauty, crowned with blond hair,
You have blue eyes,
Tosca has black eyes!
Art, in its mysterious way,
blends the contrasting beauties together...
But while I'm painting her,
My only thought,
My only thought is of you,
Tosca, it is of you!


Jonas Kaufmann singing Recondita Armonia - there is only one Cavaradossi for me, and Jonas is the one








Vissi d'arte
sung by Floria Tosca


Vissi d’arte, vissi d’amore,
non feci mai male ad anima viva!
Con man furtiva
quante miserie conobbi aiutai.
Sempre con fè sincera
la mia preghiera
ai santi tabernacoli salì.

Sempre con fè sincera
diedi fiori agl’altar.
Nell’ora del dolore
perchè, perchè, Signore,
perchè me ne rimuneri così?
Diedi gioielli della Madonna al manto,
e diedi il canto agli astri, al ciel,
che ne ridean più belli.
Nell’ora del dolor
perchè, perchè, Signor,
ah, perchè me ne rimuneri così?


English translation

I Lived For My Art


I lived for my art, I lived for love,
I never did harm to a living soul!
With a secret hand
I relieved as many misfortunes as I knew of.
Always with true faith
my prayer
rose to the holy shrines.
Always with true faith
I gave flowers to the altar.
In the hour of grief
why, why, o Lord,
why do you reward me thus?
I gave jewels for the Madonna’s mantle,
and I gave my song to the stars, to heaven,
which smiled with more beauty.
In the hour of grief
why, why, o Lord,
ah, why do you reward me thus?


Angela Gheorghiu singing Vissi d'arte








E Lucevan le stelle - When The Stars Were Shining Brightly
sung by Cavaradossi

E lucevan le stelle ...
e olezzava la terra
stridea l'uscio dell'orto ...
e un passo sfiorava la rena ...
Entrava ella fragrante,
mi cadea tra le braccia.

O! dolci baci, o languide carezze,
mentr'io fremente le belle forme disciogliea dai veli!
Svanì per sempre il sogno mio d'amore.
L'ora è fuggita, e muoio disperato!
E muoio disperato!
E non ho amato mai tanto la vita,
tanto la vita!


 English translation

When The Stars Were Brightly Shining


When the stars were brightly shining ...
And faint perfumes the air pervaded,
Creaked the gate of the garden ...
And footstep its precincts invaded ...
'Twas hers, the fragant creature.
In her soft arms she clasped me..

With sweetest kisses, tenderest caresses,
A thing of beauty, of matchless symmetry in form and feature!
My dream of love is now disspelled forever.
I lived uncaring and now I die despairing!
Alas I die despairing!
And never was life so dear to me, no never,
So dear, no never!

did I say something earlier about there being only one Cavaradossi, GO PLACIDO!!!






what do I know anyway, except that that was gorgeous!

and here is the incredible Jonas Kaufmann singing this aria



 

No comments:

Post a Comment