Wednesday 14 December 2011

Rigoletto Arias

(as ever still some background etc to fill in, impulsive as usual I have to publish ..... NOW! ..... I will return, lol, but just to say I am hugely enjoying this process of  looking in detail at these great and beautiful arias)




All the video clips used here are from the magical production of Rigoletto a Mantova, starring Placido Domingo, Julia Novikova and Vittorio Griggolo filmed and initially screened live on TV on location in Mantua over two evenings in September 2010 - I was lucky enough to catch it being re-screened early in 2010 - am still hoping a dvd will be produced as I loved it so much

Rigoletto (Placido Domingo) and daughter Gilda (Julia Novikova)


Pari siamo - We are the same
Caro nome
La donna e mobile



Placido domingo sings Pari siamo


Pari siamo
sung by Rigoletto


Pari siamo!...
io la lingua,
egli ha il pugnale;
L'uomo son io che ride,
ei quel che spegne!...
Quel vecchio maledivami!...
O uomini!... o natura!...
Vil scellerato mi faceste voi...!
Oh rabbia!... esser difforme!...
esser buffone!...
Non dover, non poter
altro che ridere!...
Il retaggio d'ogni uom
m'è tolto... il pianto!...
Questo padrone mio,
Giovin, giocondo, sì possente, bello,
Sonnecchiando mi dice:
Fa ch'io rida, buffone...
Forzarmi deggio, e farlo!...
Oh, dannazione!...
Odio a voi,
cortigiani schernitori!...
Quanta in mordervi ho gioia!..
Se iniquo son,
per cagion vostra è solo...
Ma in altr'uom qui mi cangio!...
Quel vecchio malediami!...
tal pensiero perché
conturba ognor la mente mia!.,.
Mi coglierà sventura?...
Ah no, è follia.


English translation


We are the same!
I have my wit,
he has his dagger!
I am a man who jokes
all day, he kills!
That old man cursed me!
Oh men! O nature!
It was you who made me the vile devil I am!
Oh rage! To be deformed!
To be a jester!
To be compelled to
do nothing but laugh!
To be denied everyman's right
to cry!
My master,
young, playful, so powerful, handsome.
He just bids me
to make him laugh.
And I must comply.
Oh damnation!
I hate you,
you sneering courtiers!
How I enjoy sniping at you!
If I am wicked,
it is your fault.
But now I’m turning into a new man.
That old man cursed me…
why does the thought of it
still play on my mind?
Will some disaster befall me?
Oh no, that is madness.






Julia Novikova sings Caro nome ..... beautifully




Caro nome - Dearest name
Sung by Gilda, Rigoletto's daughter



Caro nome che il mio cor
festi primo palpitar.
Le delizie dell'amor
mi dei sempre rammentar!
Col pensiero il mio desir
a te sempre volerà,
E pur l' ultimo sospir,
caro nome, tuo sarà.
(repeated)




English translation

Dearest name who made my heart
dance for the first time.
Please always remind me
of the joys of love.
The thought will make
my love fly to you.
Even my last breath will
be yours, dear name.
(reapeated)




Vittorio Griggolo sings La donna e mobile

La donna e mobile - Women are so flighty
sung by the Duke


La donna è mobile
qual piuma al vento,
muta d'accento e di pensiero.
Sempre un amabile leggiadro viso,
in pianto o in riso, è menzognero.
È sempre misero chi a lei s'affida,
chi le confida mal cauto il core!
Pur mai non sentesi
felice appieno
chi su quel seno non liba amore!


English translation


Women are so flighty,
flitting about like feathers in the wind,
They change their minds and their accents.
Whether they are crying or laughing,
their sweet and loving little faces always lie.
Any man who trusts a woman is always miserable,
he who trusts in them - beware your foolish heart.

Yet, no-one can be
really happy
who has not felt love in a woman’s arms!


No comments:

Post a Comment