Wednesday 7 December 2011

Anna Bolena : Donizetti : Met Opera

Live in Cinemas around the world from The Metropolitan Opera Saturday 15th October 2011
(A bit late getting round to posting this but I didn't have the blog set up when I went to see this)


The start of the new Met Live in HD series commences with Donizetti's Anna Bolena. I have been eagerly awaiting this for what seems such a long time now since the close of last Met season as I just know what Anna Netrebko is capable of these days.


Sumptuous, gorgeous, pure gold .... and that was just Anna Netrebko's voice! Sadly we did not have the extra special treat of Elina Garanca alongside her as they had performed in Vienna earlier this year as Elina was expecting her first child, was so disappointed with that but Anna truly pushed out all the stops in this stunning stunning performance as Anna Bolena.

The overture begins, I am truly in raptures already at this beautful piece of music and sit transfixed as it plays, so incredibly beautiful I have to share it here .... have played this particular video many times and enjoyed it so much


Have to give Stephen Costello a mention here, he was a lovely Lord Percy, having never heard him sing before this was an unexpected treat and I must look out for him in another role would love to see him again - having checked La Traviata (ROH) he is singing alongside Anna there again for just two performances but wouldn't you know, all tickets for those performances are long gone!!!



















My very first viewing of this opera so I have no previous productions or performers to compare this with but I am sure that dazzling performance from Anna Netrebko is second to none! WOW! Anna Netrebko IS Anna Bolena! The Met does is again, I am overwhelmed with the sheer brilliance and beauty - OK I felt Ekaterina Gubanova (Jane Seymour) was not quite up to it at the start but she definitely improved as things went on (still would have loved to have seen Elina Garanca in this role).

No comments:

Post a Comment