Wednesday 28 December 2011

Cendrillon Royal Opera House .... looking back ..... and forward

WARNING - spoilers here for those who have yet to see this in cinemas! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!



Well, perhaps it may seem a little late to be talking about an opera I went to see back in July of this year but maybe not, firstly I hadn't started blogging at the time and secondly this opera ain't over yet! LOL! It's on in cinemas all over the world in January 2012  http://cinema.roh.org.uk/now-booking/nearest/*/23343 and I can't wait to see this up on the BIG SCREEN  (yes we can all go to the ball) .... especially the wonderful wonderful love duet scene between Joyce DiDonato and Alice Coote, they sound incredible singing together ..... OK, perhaps I shouldn't but hey, it was so gorgeous I believe I almost stopped breathing through most of this ... we go to the rooftops of Paris ....



Sorry, I'm getting way ahead of myself but I so loved that scene, couldn't resist. My main reason for getting myself all the way up to London, to The Royal Opera House no less, was that my very favourite lady in the opera world - Joyce DiDonato was cast in the title role - there was no way in the world I was going to miss this! I had first thought of going to Trafalgar Square to see it live on the BP Big Screens, but then decided I just had to be in the house to hear my fave lady singer!

The staging for Laurent Pelly's production of Massenet's Cendrillon was simple and I understand not to everyone's taste but I rather liked it, some very nice touches, such as in the pics below - the chairs, the scenery inscribed - in french of course, with extracts from the story, the coach, and the palace gates. Adored lots of the frocks too. It all contributed to an all-round truly magical experience








OK, just a little bit more from the fabulous Joyce DiDonato - hope you will all be joining me for the magical cinema screening some time in January! It will be amazing!


Just to say I'm doubly ecstatic as Joyce is in The Met's Enchanted Island which is being broadcast Live in HD from The Met on 21st January 2012. Just how good does it get!

No comments:

Post a Comment