Thursday 15 March 2012

Meandering Along The Opera Trail ....



..... as I do, and just reflecting that although at times I feel a little frustration (and just why aren't days 72 hours long to fit in everything I want to be consuming from the opera world!) that I am still so new and ignorant of this amazing world that is opera, so much to learn still and that in itself is indeed a doubled-edged sword of a position to be in, in that I also feel most highly privileged too, to be experiencing so many things for the first time, to me all so new and fresh-soooo exciting, the operas, the singers (oh thoooooose singers, did I really have no idea of that incredible beauty), it truly is a fantastic journey of discovery that I continue - the hunger and excitement I feel just seems to increase daily, just wanting more and more as singers new to me join the ever-growing list of my favourites who I must, just must see again-I get just as excited, if not even more so at "finding" these "new" (to me) singers as I do enjoying those I already know and love.

Just a little word in here in ROH's ear on something that would have been nice to experience for first time - Rusalka, would have loved that, but for my first taste, dished up in a brothel - erm, no had to pass on that one thank you - spending my hard-earnt cash on something visually noooot pretty, nooooo waaaay!!!

Having perused the offerings released by both Metropolitan Opera New York (their Live in HD broadcasts) and now The Royal Opera House for 2012/13 I can safely say that both these schedules excite me immensely, just can't wait to be in there feasting on the delights being served up, though at this point in time am more than somewhat bewildered/stunned/disappointed at no mention of Dmitri Hvorostovsky for ROH-hope there is something in the offing still to be confirmed there, my very fave baritone, well ony just there are so, so many fabulous and delicious baritones out there who appear on these two stages it is hard to be upset for too long, and there will be a Met Live in HD showing of Un Ballo in Maschera featuring Dmitri to look forward to, plus their premiere of Thomas Ades The Tempest which I am very, very excited about as this features baritone Simon Keenlyside (adorable) as Prospero (also appearing ROH Eugene Onegin as Onegin and Die Zauberflotte as Papageno-yippee).

Simon Keenlyside


I am finding it very hard not to be incredibly excited at just about everything on the menu from both Royal Opera House and The Met Live in HD for 2012/13 as I really love both the live in Opera House experience and the live in cinema experience, opera does translate so well to the big screen (though I am a tad bewildered, have to say, at the two 3D offerings by ROH-why 3D????), I get such a huge buzz watching my fave singers in those up close shots as they sing and breathe, sing and breathe .... ooohhhh just awesome!!!

Did I say meandering along the opera trail, hahaha - impossible, I am running headlong and enjoying every single moment!!!

Links to those delicious menus for 2012/13 - I can't possibly pick out all the high points for me as, well pretty much everything qualifies for that ..... the seed has been well and truly sown and the excitement grows and grows!!!!

Met Opera Live in HD
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/liveinhd/liveinhd1213.aspx?icamp=HD1213int&iloc=leftnav

Royal Opera House (using the Intermezzo link as they kindly inserted cast details which ROH have not as yet-and their site is a bit clogged up with booking at the moment)
http://intermezzo.typepad.com/intermezzo/royal-opera-house-2012-2013-season-calendar-.html#tp



OK, there are things from each of those mouthwatering menus that sent me totally dizzy with delight -


Dmitri Hvorostovsky

Met Opera -
Maria Stuarda ...... Joyce DiDonato
Un Ballo in Maschera ..... Dmitri Hvorostovsky
Parsifal ...... Jonas Kaufmann

Joyce DiDonato


can't help myself, they are my three fave singers!!!

Jonas Kaufmann


Royal Opera House
La Donna del Lago .... Joyce DiDonato
Don Carlos ...... Jonas Kaufmann




Sophie Bevan


am also delighted to see that soprano Sophie Bevan (she was a fantastic Sophie in ENO's Der Rosenkavalier) will be appearing in Die Zauberflotte (ROH) as Pamina - May 2013, can't wait to see her sing again ..... so much to look forward to can hardly catch my breath.


Not forgetting - how could I possibly - there is still Les Troyens to come from Royal Opera House this summer starring Jonas Kaufmann, having just booked my seat I so can't wait for that!

It's all happening, hot on the heels of the schedule announcements ROH deliver their cinema screenings listings for both opera and ballet - link below - yet more excitement as I note I will get a second dose of Les Troyens/Jonas Kaufmann in cinema (recorded) this time (swoon), along with both Eugene Onegin and La Donna del Lago, both live transmissions - so if I time my visits to the Opera House right could get to see the both of those twice over as well - oh greedy, greedy me!

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cinema-season-201213-announced

No comments:

Post a Comment