Saturday 18 February 2012

Joyce DiDonato : New York Philharmonic : Barbican Centre

A mouthwatering program in store - got my ticket months ago and purposely have not listened to anything in advance as I felt I want it hear it new and fresh for the first time here and live - well I guess it's got to be for the UK premiere of Thomas Ades Polaris anyway, hasn't it, but as I know I like other music by Berlioz, Ravel and Stravinsky felt sure I wouldn't fail to enjoy.



Brushing everything - yes, everything else aside for a moment just have to first mention Joyce DiDonato's performance of Les Nuits d'ete - my reason for going in the first place for goodness sake, was that Joyce was performing this Berlioz piece. Beautifully attired in her Grammy-winning frock, and again looking like a princess she gave a performance to die for - truly, it was moments of immeasurable ecstacy I experienced to witness this, a thing of beauty in itself  but with Joyce's voice going from the deepest depths to the highest peaks in total control - how does she do that!!!!???

Thomas Ades - Polaris - first hearing of this and it went down very well - obviously I'm not sufficiently qualified to comment in too great a depth but this is definitley something I want to hear again - found towards the end great stirring stuff and left me very impressed - yup gotta listen again! Glancing up to balcony before start I did happen to notice small amount of the brass section positioned either side here (just for Polaris). Judging by the reception the orchestra and Thomas Ades recevied at the end of the piece the rest of the audience shared my enjoyment.

The Stravinsky (Symphony in 3 movements) and Ravel (Daphnis and Chloe) are, I am sure, well-known to any lovers of classical music and I enjoyed both pieces immensely - and feel quite confident on first hearing they will both become great favourites of mine to be listened to again and again.

I am still riding high on cloud nine from my experience at The Barbican last night, can safely say that I enjoyed the whole program from New York Philharmonic and Joyce DiDonato in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment