Sunday 15 January 2012

The Tempest : Shakespeare : Helen Mirren : Film

NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD - AT LAST!!!!

The cast:


  • Helen Mirren - Pospera – the main character. Miranda's mother and a sorceress.
  • Felicity Jones - Miranda - Prospera's daughter who falls in love with Ferdinand. 
  • Reeve - Carney - Alonzo's son who falls in love with Miranda.
  • Alfred Molina - Stephano - Alonzo's butler who along with Trinculo joins forces with Caliban to plot against Prospera.
  • Russell Brand - Trinculo - Alonzo's jester who along with Stefano joins forces with Caliban to plot against Prospera.
  • Djimon Hounsou - Caliban - Prospera's slave who along with Stefano and Trinculo plots against her.
  • Chris Cooper - Antonio - Prospera's brother and Miranda's uncle.
  • Alan Cumming as Sebastian - Alonzo's brother
  • Tom Conti - Gonzalo -a counsellor who gave aid to Prospera and Miranda.
  • David Strathairn - Alonzo, King of Naples Ferdinand's father and Trinculo and Stefano's employer.
  • Ben Whishaw - Ariel - a spirit who aids Prospera.

I went to see this film in cinema back in the spring of 2011 and absolutely loved it, despite having read many many reviews telling me not to bother and what utter rubbish it was, was I actually watching the same film they were talking about, or have I completely lost the plot.


The Tempest is my very favourite Shakespeare play and Helen Mirren one of my favourite actresses so these two factors alone made this unmissable for me - despite the fact that Russell Brand was also appearing and he is not exactly my favourite person in the whole world, but his idiot persona was most apt for the character Trinculo.

Helen Mirren as Prospera (not Prospero here) - well that change of sex for the main character certaianly got my attention and I have to say with such a strong actress as Helen is, it worked really well for me - just don't think about it too deeply and enjoy getting lost in this magical fantasy with great CGI effects for Ariel. Found the whole film very entertaining and true to the Bard's original text - how wonderful is this for youngsters to get into Shakespeare!!!?

Hats well and truly off to Julie Taymor for this fabulous production, I've now just managed to get my hands on the long-awaited dvd.

No comments:

Post a Comment